PROC 3 Range of Carbon Filter Sheets
Activated carbon powder has been used in filter sheets for many years, primarily for colour removal from low grade sugar syrups and for chlorine removal from water to be used in soft drinks production.
The number of applications using cellulose sheets incorporating activated carbon has escalated, not only in variety, but also because of their convenience. Because process fluids contact carbon particles entrapped within a filter sheet more efficiently, the adsorption capability of these impregnated sheets is greater than that provided by an equivalent amount of bulk powdered activated carbon thus reducing process time and increasing product yield.
- More effective use of carbon (fewer kg of carbon required)
- Minimised potential for addition errors
- No need for use of loose activated carbon powder or granules
- No need for use of secondary filters and filter aids to remove activated carbon from the process fluid
- No messy filter cake
- Less time consuming than bulk powder usage
- Easier and cheaper disposal of spent filter materials
It should be remembered that as with all activated carbon treatment systems, the quality and grade of activated carbon and contact time affects the adsorption capacity.
The sheet life depends on the amount of colour / odour / off-taste / chlorine to be removed and the dwell time of the liquid within the sheet.
All sheet grades are available with protective backing papers if required. All carbon lenticular modules incorporate backing papers.Download PDF